2d skateboard game

• F

@Dave you'l regret saying that.. haha

i'm getting used to adding my enemies in game now but how can i change there death state from
    collision/velocity (jumping into them) to a button attack (c.x) from my player?
    if i can master that i can then add animation to my level and crushing blocks and spikes coming out of walls ect but give them a state where they kill me

• Fuze Team

I think you could use multiple death states, each having their own specific spritesheet to draw from, and requisite conditions to trigger them. Something like:

(Of course, this is pseudo-code)

if collide with enemy and playerState != attack then
        enemyState = death1
    endif
    if collide with enemy and playerState == attack then
        enemyState = death2
    endif
    if enemyPosition overlaps with kill box then
        enemyState = death3
    endif

There is probably a much more lovely way of doing this, but this is the route I would personally go down.

Then, you'll have specific conditions for each of those death states:

if enemyState == death1 and collides with player then
         // do specific things    
    endif

• F

@Dave wonderful stuff cheers

• F

I very nearly gave up, with all these ideas floating around my head trying to implement them all just caused confusion.

So I stripped it back down to what I think I know and fixed all the confusion to something I can build on.

With huge magnitudes of greatfullness for the fuze team and users.Thankyou!!!

• F

@waldron Awesome work man! This is really coming along!

• F

any idea how i can fix my points for tricks, at the moment iv assigned score to a button press (trick) but obviously the user can just sit there and rack up a huge score.

I thought i cracked it last night by putting in movement speed for the opposite direction while pressing the button which actually gave it a great effect of grinding to a halt but then starts moving in the other direction and breaks the effect.
    so is there a way i can create a dead zone so i can keep this set-up but have the movement and score to stop once my character is not moving ? i can provide a video later to help explain

actually just figured out the movement thing by changing the direction of movement to y. axis.down so now i just need
    the score fixing

• F

@waldron I don't know if I'm following completely, but one thing I've been doing when I need a "cool down" is to have a global integer, then in my gameplay code I subtract it by one, and say "is it zero yet? if so, let them do action XYZ again".

• F

@Spacemario i'l upload a video later altho a cool down does sound like a possible fix just don't know how i would code it,
    my code from memory atm is kinda like

if c.y state = trick then
    playerY movespeed -= // gives me the drag effect (slowdown)
    playercoin += 1            // gives me the score 
    .........so on so on 

• F

@waldron said in 2d skateboard game:

@Spacemario i'l upload a video later altho a cool down does sound like a possible fix just don't know how i would code it,
    my code from memory atm is kinda like

if c.y state = trick then
    playerY movespeed -= // gives me the drag effect (slowdown)
    playercoin += 1            // gives me the score 
    .........so on so on 

Tony hawks gets round this issue with balance bars

f71514a8-8118-416b-9459-c0c384138b45-image.png

• F